Skip to main content

Need your pass sooner than two weeks? Please visit a site near you that distributes passes: SITES THAT ISSUE PASSES

IMPORTANT: Interagency Passes are not available for download or printing.  A physical pass will be shipped to you.  Receipts, photos, or copies of your pass are NOT valid for use.

Access Pass

America the Beautiful - National Parks & Federal Recreational Lands Access Pass

Access Pass

America the Beautiful - National Parks & Federal Recreational Lands Access Pass

We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover cards.

Please read the following:

To complete your Access Pass order, you will need to upload an ID and documentation of permanent disability.

  • The ID must be a U.S. State or Territory issued driver’s license, identification, or birth certificate; or a U.S. passport, passport card, or permanent resident green card. ID must be in the name of the person obtaining the pass, not a parent in the case of a child.
  • More information on documentation of a permanent disability (including examples) can be found in the Overview of the Access Pass section on the previous screen.

About Your Access Pass

What is the Access Pass?

A free, lifetime pass - available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability (does not have to be a 100% disability) that provides admittance to more than 2,000 recreation sites managed by six Federal agencies.

At many sites the Access Pass provides the pass owner a discount on Expanded Amenity Fees (such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and guided tours).

See Access Pass Benefits section.

Are Golden Access Passports still valid?

Golden Access Passports are valid for a lifetime. However, your Golden Access pass can also be exchanged for a newer version of the pass for free. While these passes are still honored, exchanging them will help with standardization. Exchange in person at sites that issue passes.

Can my permanently disabled child get an Access Pass?

Yes. There is not an age requirement for this pass.

How do I prove I'm permanently disabled?

Some examples of acceptable documentation include:

  • Statement by a licensed physician. Statement must include:
  1. that the "individual has a PERMANENT disability"
  2. that it "limits one or more aspects of their daily life"
  3. and the nature of those limitations.
  • Document issued by Federal agency such as the Veteran's Administration, Social Security Disability Income, or Supplemental Security Income;
  • Document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency.

Some examples of documentation that is accepted and not accepted:





Notice of Award (SSDI)





Summary of Benefits (VA)





Award Letter (VA)
** Letter must denominate any disability percentage **




Notice of Benefit Increase (SSDI)





Handicap Placard/Application


Who qualifies for the Access Pass?

The Access Pass may be issued to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of any age that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability (does not have to be a 100% disability) that severely limits one or more major life activities.

permanent disability is a permanent physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

If I am partially disabled do I qualify for the Access Pass?

The disability requirements for the Access Pass are not based on percentage of disability. To qualify for the Pass the disability must be permanent and limit one or more major life activities.

Where can I use my Access Pass?

Please contact a site directly if you have a question about pass acceptance and fees.

The Forest Service, the National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, USACE, and Bureau of Reclamation honor the Access Pass at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fees (Day use fees) are charged.

In addition, the Tennessee Valley Authority may honor the Access Pass for entrance or camping discounts.

Where can I get an Access Pass?

You can obtain an Access Pass on by uploading an ID and documentation of permanent disability and paying the processing fee of $10. Please upload identification that indicates that you are a citizen or permanent resident, such as a driver’s license, passport, green card, or birth certificate. The ID needs to be in the name of the person obtaining the pass, not a parent in the case of a child.

You can also obtain an Access Pass in person, with proper documentation, from a participating Federal recreation site or office. See for sites that issue the Access Pass.

Access Passes may be obtained via mail order from USGS. Mail-order applicants for the Access Pass must submit a completed paper application, proof of residency and documentation of permanent disability (does not have to be 100% disability), and pay the document processing fee of $10 to obtain a pass through the mail. Once the application package is received, the documentation will be verified and a pass, with the pass owner's name pre-printed on it, will be issued to the applicant.

Access Pass applications are usually processed and shipped within 5 business days from the day they arrive at USGS. Transit time varies, and is dependent upon the service selected:

    • USPS - typically 5-10 business days
    • FedEx Ground - typically 3-5 business days
    • FedEx 2nd day - typically 2 business days
    • FedEx Overnight - typically 1 business day

Can gift cards be used to purchase products from the USGS Store?

No. The USGS Store accepts all Credit and Debit cards but gift cards of any kind are not accepted.   

What if my Access Pass is lost, stolen or damaged?

  • If lost or stolen, you'll need to apply for another one.
  • If damaged, it can be replaced as long as a portion of the pass is identifiable and you show proper identification.

How do I show my pass at a site that doesn't have an entrance station?

At Federal recreation sites that don't have entrance stations you need to display your pass or show proof of pass ownership to compliance officers via one of the two following methods:

A pass can either be displayed on your rearview mirror using a free hangtag or on your dashboard with the signature side showing. Remember, the hangtag itself is only a way to display your Pass, and is not valid for entry unless it holds a valid Pass.

If you own an open-topped vehicle (jeep, motorcycle, etc.) you may obtain a free decal to attach to your vehicle that will serve as proof of payment at sites that don't have a staffed entrance station.

  • Decals are issued on annual basis, even for owners of lifetime Senior/Access passes
  • Decals are NOT valid for entry at staffed entrance sites - you MUST show your pass
  • Decals must be obtained in person and you must show the following: your Pass, driver's license and vehicle registration. The name on all three documents must match.
  • All sites that issue passes issue free hangtags

My family is traveling in two cars; will one Access Pass let all of us into the site?

No. Only the vehicle with the pass owner is covered. The second vehicle is subject to an entrance fee, or must have (or buy) a second pass.

What about motorcycle drivers who have an Access Pass?

An Access Pass permits entrance for one motorcycle.

Can I use my Access Pass at state parks or local city/county recreation sites?

No. The Access Pass is valid only at participating Federal recreation sites.

Who is admitted with an Access Pass?

The Access Pass admits the pass owner and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas and pass owner + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, where per-person fees are charged. (Children under 16 are always admitted free.) 
Note: Photo identification will be requested to verify pass ownership.

What if I forgot to bring my Access Pass?

You will be required to pay the applicable Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee(s).

If I have more than four people in my car, how many passes do I need?

  • One pass covers the vehicle at sites that charge "per vehicle".
  • At "per person" sites, the applicable fee will be charged for each additional person.

What are the discount guidelines?

The pass program is managed by six Federal agencies that operate under different regulations and have different fees. Therefore, the discount program for the Access Pass is not handled in the same way on all Federal recreation lands.

In general discounts are honored as follows:

  • Individual Campsites: The discount only applies to the fee for the campsite physically occupied by the pass owner, not to any additional campsite(s) occupied by members of the pass owner's party.
  • Campsites with Utility Hookups: If utility fees are charged separately, there is no discount. The discount may apply if the utility fee is combined (seamless) with the campsite fee.
  • Group Campsites and Facilities (including, but not limited to, group facilities, picnic areas or pavilions): There is no discount for group campsites and other group facilities that charge a flat fee. If the group campsite has a per person fee rate, only the pass owner receives a discount; others using the site pay the full fee.
  • Guided Tours: The pass offers discounts on some guided tours. Only the pass owner receives a discount if one is offered.
  • Transportation Systems: (Inquire Locally)
  • Concessionaire Fees: (Inquire Locally)
  • Special Use Permit Fees: (Inquire Locally)

Does my Access Pass provide any discounts at Cooperating Association bookstores or gift shops that are located in the Federal Recreation sites?

No. The Access Pass does not cover discounts in on-site bookstores or gift stores.

In addition to free entry, does the Access Pass include any discounts at Federal Recreation sites?

At many sites the Access Pass provides the pass owner a discount on Expanded Amenity Fees (such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and guided tours).