USGS - science for a changing world

America The Beautiful - The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

Overview of the Volunteer Pass Eligibility | Pass Use | Further Information

  1. What is the Volunteer Pass?

    A "Volunteer Pass" is an Annual Pass awarded to those individuals who volunteer 250 hours at one or more recreation sites managed by five Federal agencies as a way to say "thank you!"

  2. Which agencies participate in the Volunteer Pass program?

    Volunteer hours may be accrued on lands managed by the following:

  3. Where can I find out about volunteer opportunities on Federal recreation lands? OR OR Inquire Locally


Eligibility for a Volunteer Pass

  1. Who qualifies for the Volunteer Pass?

    The Volunteer Pass will be issued free of charge to volunteers who accrue 250 volunteer hours.

  2. Do I have to accrue the 250 hours in one year?

    No. There is no specific timeframe in which volunteer hours must be accrued. Hours can be accrued over one, or several, calendar years.

  3. How will volunteer hours be recorded and tracked?

    Work with your local Federal recreation site supervisor or Volunteer Coordinator/Manager to track your hours. Whatever format you use to track your time, be sure to keep copies for your records.

  4. What happens when a volunteer reaches the 250 hours?

    Once the 250 hour requirement is reached, a pass is issued, and the volunteer's "pass hours"; are reset to zero and the count begins again.

  5. Can I accrue hours on lands managed by more than one Federal agency, or am I only able to accrue them by volunteering with one agency?

    You can accrue 250 hours by volunteering on Federal recreation lands managed by one or all of five agencies - NPS, BLM, USDA FS, FWS, and Reclamation. For example, you can volunteer 100 hours for each of the five agencies and earn a pass.

  6. What type of volunteer activities/projects count towards my 250 Volunteer Pass hours?

    All activities that have been pre-approved by the Volunteer Coordinator count toward the required 250 hours. Remember to get your record of volunteer hours signed by applicable Volunteer Coordinator(s).

  7. If a person volunteers more than 250 hours in one year, do they receive additional passes?

    No. If a volunteer works more than the 250 hours a year they still earn only one pass per year.

  8. Are campground hosts eligible to receive a Volunteer Pass?

    Yes. Campground hosts are eligible to receive a Volunteer Pass once they have completed 250 hours of service.

  9. Who will issue the Volunteer Pass?

    The Federal Volunteer Coordinator/Manager who authorizes that a volunteer has accrued 250 hours.


Volunteer Pass Use

  1. When does a Volunteer Pass expire?

    The Volunteer Pass is valid for 12 months from the month of issuance, expiring the last day of that month.

  2. Who is admitted with a Volunteer Pass?

    Each Annual Pass admits pass owner/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas; and pass owner + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, where per-person fees are charged. (Children under 16 are always admitted free).
    Note: Photo identification will be requested to verify pass ownership.

  3. If I have more than four people in my car, how many passes do I need?
    • One pass covers the vehicle at sites that charge "per vehicle".
    • At "per person" sites, the applicable fee will be charged for each additional person.
  4. My family is traveling in two vehicles; will one Volunteer Pass let all of us into the site?

    No. Only the vehicle with the pass owner is covered. The second vehicle is subject to an entrance fee, or must have (or buy) a second pass.

  5. What if I have a motorcycle?

    A Volunteer Pass permits entrance for one motorcycle.

  6. What is NOT covered by the Volunteer Pass?

    The Volunteer Pass does not cover Expanded Amenity fees such as camping, boat launching, parking, special tours, special permits or ferries.

    Also, some facilities and activities on Federal recreation lands (including those mentioned above) are managed by private concessionaires. The concessionaires charge for their services as any private company does and the Pass is not valid for their services.

  7. How do I show my pass at a site that doesn't have an entrance station?

    At Federal recreation sites that don't have entrance stations you need to display your pass or show proof of pass ownership to compliance officers via one of the two following methods:

    A pass can either be displayed on your rearview mirror using a free hangtag or on your dashboard with the signature side showing. Remember, the hangtag itself is only a way to display your Pass, and is not valid for entry unless it holds a valid Pass.

    If you own an open-topped vehicle (jeep, motorcycle, etc.) you may obtain a free decal to attach to your vehicle that will serve as proof of payment at sites that don't have a staffed entrance station.


Volunteer Pass - Further Information

  1. Does the Volunteer Pass include any discounts at Cooperating Association bookstores, or at gift shops that are located in the Federal Recreation sites?

    No. The Volunteer Pass does not provide discounts at Cooperating Association bookstores or on-site gift shops.

  2. Does the Volunteer Pass provide any discounts on Expanded Amenity or Concessionaire (Concessioner) Fees?

    No. The Volunteer Pass does not cover discounts on any Expanded Amenity or Concessionaire (Concessioner) Fees such as: camping, RV hook-ups, boat launching, backcountry permits, parking at Mount Rushmore, guided cave tours at Wind Cave National Park, or parking at some historic monuments or homes.


Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Page Contact Information:
Page Last Modified: January 09, 2013